Back here I wrote about our Diesel Woes. And said that we would be checking through to see if we could find the source of the problem.
We couldn’t see any loose cables, so armed with our trusty new circuit tester with both a lamp and audible warning, we decided to go check the ballast resistor and then onto the heater plugs.
The resistor on the Santana is in the dashboard, under a nice plastic cover. It looks totally different to the Series ones.
Unfortunately Adrian had virtually put it all back together before I found the camera and I decided it wasn’t a good idea to ask him to undo it all again.
So I started at the one nearest to the radiator, while Adrian held the ignition on. The top feed was fine. The bottom one wasn’t. Wondered if I wasn’t doing it right. Checked all the others, all top and bottom feeds had current to them. We would have checked how much voltage to each one if the battery in the volt meter hadn’t been dead. The first one seemed to be the culprit though, so out he came.
Even with our limited electrical knowledge we figured it would be pretty difficult to complete the circuit when the element at the bottom has snapped.
He looks like he’s had copper slip on him and he certainly came out easily enough. So now we are waiting for some new ones, part no 568335, ie one to replace the faulty one and some spares. NB Do not throw away the washers, ceramic insulator, and threaded top (incidentally this has a slot in the top for a screwdriver when you want to undo it to take out the plug).
Part 2 to follow when the new plugs arrive.